COURGETTE, TOMATO AND POTATO CHILLI BAKE
This chilli has two types of beans in it, which are a great way to add more protein into your diet. Plus the tomato, potato and courgette contribute to achieving your 5-a-day!
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 shallot, chopped finely
4 garlic cloves
2 carrots, chopped finely
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp tomato puree
220ml veg stock
1 can chopped tomato (400g)
1 can cannelloni beans, drained (400g)
1 can red or white kidney beans, drained (400g)
1 large potato
3 large tomatoes
- Place a saucepan over a medium heat, add the oil.
- Once hot add the onion, minced garlic and carrot. Sweat the mix for 3-5 mins.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper to the pan and cook for a few more minutes.
- Then ad the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, then add the cans of beans and stir.
- Let the chilli cook for 20mins. While it cooks preheat the oven to 180C
- After 20 mins turn the heat on the chilli off, and pour the chilli into a large casserole dish.
- Slice the potato, tomatoes and courgette into thin slices. Layer these on, alternating between the three, overlapping each slice. Once you have covered the top of the dish completely, cover the top of the dish with tin foil (or the lid of the dish it has one)
- Place the chilli into the oven for 45mins. After 30 mins, take it out and remove the lid or foil. Then put back in the oven and cook for the further 15 mins or until the top is golden and the potatoes are crispy.
The dish looks great as a centre piece on the table, serve with green vegetables.