Wanting to change things up this Pancake day? Looking to try something new?
You don't need to be vegan to enjoy these pancakes. Boasting a completely different texture to your average pancakes and still packing a punch in the flavour department - Plus they are packed with gut friendly chia and flax seeds.
Makes 4 medium sized pancakes
1 Chia egg (mix 3 tablespoons hot water with 1 tablespoon chia seeds)
2 tbsp shelled hemp seeds, or ground flaxseeds (we used flaxseeds) - plus extra to serve
2 bananas - 1 mashed, 1 sliced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut flour or almond flour
1 tbsp plain flour (use buckwheat to make gluten free)
40 - 50ml almond or coconut milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
1. Combine the chia egg, hemp seeds, 1 mashed banana, cinnamon, both flours, nut milk and baking power in a bowl.
2. Mix together with a spoon. You want to achieve a ‘dropping' consistency, so add a further 20-30ml nut milk for thinner pancakes.
3. Melt the coconut oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then pour 1 heaped tbsp of batter mix into the pan. Fry on each side and cook through until lightly brown.
4. Once cooked take out the pan and place on a large plate and keep warm in the oven on a low heat while you continue to use up the rest of the batter. Repeat step 3 until you have used all the mixture.
5. Stack the pancakes and drizzle maple syrup, hemp / flax seeds and the other banana sliced…. Plus any other of your favourite toppings! We added whipped coconut cream and blueberries for some extra vitamin C!
Try mixing it up with these topping ideas - Biscuit spread, Coconut cream, Pistachio nuts, Almond flakes, Poached fruit.
Give them a try and if you love them let us know by tagging us in your pancake pictures @dishonorlondon